Pages

Sunday, October 5, 2014

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread


I saw a sign a couple of weeks ago at my local Kneaders announcing the arrival of Pumpkin Bread. I almost did a U turn right there. I know their bread is good. But I knew I had all the ingredients at home to make my own Pumpkin Bread. I wanted to try a new recipe and this was at the top of the list. I found the recipe at Our Best Bites--I made a few minor changes and decided it was delicious!
Welcome Fall!

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread
2 cups all purpose flour (spooned into measuring cup and leveled)
1 cup whole wheat flour (again spoon, don't scoop!)
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cup white sugar
6 oz container vanilla yogurt
3 eggs, slightly beaten
15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1-2 cups chocolate chips (plus a few extra for the top) I like plenty of chocolate in my pumpkin bread so I used 2 cups. I tried mini semi sweet chocolate chips in one batch, not bad. But the second time I made this recipe I used 60% Cocoa Semi Sweet chips--much better, I like a bigger bite of chocolate  in my pumpkin bread.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Combine flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.  Whisk gently to combine and set aside.

In a separate bowl combine sugars and stir until well mixed.  Add yogurt, eggs, pumpkin, oil, and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.

Slowly add dry ingredients and mix gently, being careful not to over mix.  When combined gently stir in chocolate chips. Divide batter between pans that have been sprayed with Pam and sprinkle the top with additional chocolate chips.

Bake large loaves for 50-60 minutes, check smaller loaves after 35-40 minutes or until a skewer comes out with on a few crumbs attached. Don't over bake!  Let cool for 10 minutes and then run a sharp knife around the edges before removing from the pan.

This recipe makes two large 9x5 inch loaves of pumpkin bread; however I have better luck with smaller loaves and I wanted to share with friends. At my local Walmart I found a set of 5 Mini Loaf Pans that are disposable. Perfect. This recipe made 6 mini loaves. I decided they were a bit too full so the second time I baked them I made 6 mini loaves and 2 muffins (I cooked the two muffins in small 1 cup glass dishes). I know this is probably too much information but I really don't want pumpkin batter all over the bottom of your oven! It is a good idea to put loaf pans (whatever size) on a cookie sheet to bake, this avoids oven messes and makes it easier to transport loaves in and out of the oven.
Printable Recipe




No comments: