Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2015

Crock Pot White Chicken Chile


I think Crock Pot meals were invented to help ease the 'witching hour'. That time between about 4 and 6 PM when life falls apart. Kids are cranky, (not just pre schoolers), everyone is hungry and Mom is franticly scanning thru Pintrest looking for easy dinner ideas.
 Welcome the Crock Pot. Dinner is slowly cooking, the house smells wonderful. Family members know dinner is near because they can smell it. Mother can play games with toddlers or help youngsters with homework, because she already knows what's for dinner. Yes, the Crock Pot is a wonderful invention, maybe a life changer.
 Valyn Baker served this White Chicken Chile at the Ward Christmas Party, people begged for the recipe. She directed the droves to this link in the LDS Living Magazine. Here is my take on this recipe, I have served it several times with positive reviews.

Crock Pot White Chicken Chile
10 frozen chicken tenders
1 cup Salsa Verde--I used Herdez brand
I tried to find the difference between Salsa Verde and Green Enchilada Sauce. I have both sitting in front of me. I went with the Salsa Verde because it has less ingredients I can't pronounce. They look similar, I think either could be used in this recipe. Anyone know more on the subject?
2 cans chicken broth
1 onion diced
2-3 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup minced cilantro
Put frozen chicken tenders in crock pot add Salsa, chicken broth, beans and seasonings. I know the purpose of a crock pot meal is quick cooking. So if you want to just put the onion in I'm sure the cooking police will not come for you. However, I have found that onion sometimes takes forever to soften in a crock pot. I sauté the onion in a little olive oil for about 5 minutes and then add it to the crock pot. It smells great and adds a deeper flavor to the soup.
We use the crock pot for long slow unattended cooking. I did just that for years and tried to develop a palate for dried out chicken. This recipe cooks for about 2-3 hours on high. Chicken is done at 165 degrees. It will be flavorful and juicy. Remove chicken from the crock pot, shred it with 2 forks and return. Add sour cream and stir till combined. Top with cilantro and serve with corn bread, tortilla chips or strips.
 All crock pots cook differently, adjust. Chicken tenders cook quicker than chicken breasts. Thawed chicken cooks quicker than frozen. So many variables. The only truth in crock pot cooking is that chicken should not have the same texture as jerky! Enjoy. This really is a simple, delicious recipe.
Printable Recipe

1 comment:

Kayte said...

LOL on the witching hour...before I had children I used to scold a friend of mine who had three under three years old...when they were about 2, 3, 4 she used to joke, "I just feel like leaving home at the witching hour and if they are all alive when I come home, okay." I used to think that was so awful to say but then I got my own children and while I never thought those precise thoughts, I did think it would be nice if someone would come in each day and play with them during the witching hour when they were tired of me and my patience was less than at full peak...and that crockpot was the most wonderful invention ever for the reasons you agree, it's a lot easier to think about dinner when the morning is fresh than during the witching hour. These days, the witching hour is gone and you know what...I do miss those days. The crockpot is in full use today with this cold icy snowy weather...a pot roast which will morph into pot roast soup for later in the week after it does it's job today. I'll try your chili recipe!